What is POTS? Plain Old Telephone Service Lines Explained
In an era where more businesses are relying on modern telephone systems like VoIP, the term POTS probably isn’t thrown around a lot. But in laymen’s terms, POTS, or “plain old telephone service” lines, are the traditional landline phone system that relies on physical copper wires for service.
So What is POTS?
POTS networks were created to facilitate voice communication since the late 1800’s, and is the analog “landline” phone system that most of us grew up with at home.
The Transition Away from POTS
With modern technology progressing and the high cost of maintaining copper lines, these traditional land lines are becoming less and less common among consumers.
Many major carriers have decided to shut off copper POTS lines in an effort to eliminate copper POTS lines by 2020. Service fees have been steadily increasing over the years, and some services have been terminated. According to the FCC, there are still more than 36 million POTS lines in the United States and the average cost for a line is $65 per month.
However, many POTS lines are still in use for numerous reasons:
- It provides access to 911 emergency services for elevators, fire panels, alarm systems, etc.
- It is used in most businesses as modems, fax, out of band management application and phones.
Alternate solutions will be necessary to implement to replace all of the copper lines soon.
What Can I Do If I Need to Replace My POTS Line?
You’re at the right place. At POTS Replacement, we replace the telephone company with a wireless connection that will be better, faster, and more reliable. We provide all of the equipment, service and support to replace your out-of-date copper POTS line. Some benefits of working with us include:
- Fire Marshall approved equipment in all 50 states
- Simple rate plans
- Real time, central station monitoring
- An online portal to manage your services
- Easy self-installation options and a dedicated installation team for more complex installs
- All hardware and service is guaranteed and warrantied for the life of the term
- FREE hardware if you sign on for our long term plans!
- 30 day money back guarantee
Leave the trouble alerts, alarms failure notifications, and Fire Marshall citations behind! Contact us for more information today or shop now.